Installation Instructionís for Chevy Transmission
to í49 to í51 Lincoln Flathead Adapter Kit.
These instructions assume that the installer has more than a small amount of mechanical skill and know how.
While performing this installation, please remember a few simple rules.
(1) Install all bolts in a particular sequence before tightening any.
(2) Never force anything.
(3) Lubricate bolt threads.
(4) Trial fit everything to make sure it will fit. See rule #2.
Each part of every kit has been fitted onto an actual Flathead engine before being boxed to make sure it will fit correctly. If it doesnít fit correctly there may be some problem with your engine. Call if there is a problem.
1. Clean the back of the block so the adapter plate will fit flush.
2. Install adapter using 6 taper head screws from the rear of the block. The adapter is a tight fit over the dowel pins. Make sure the dowels are in place and free of burrs. Tap the adapter into place. A tight fit insures that the plate is located correctly.
3. Install crank spacer using the 6 socket head capscrews. Tighten to factory specs, using locktight. Then install the supplied flywheel.
4. Install transmission and torque converter. Donít over tighten bell housing bolts. Stripped threads are not warranted.
5. Make sure that there is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance between the torque converter and the flywheel. This means that you should be able to move the torque converter forward to the flywheel the distance indicated.
If you have more distance than that indicated, you can take up the extra space using washers as spacers.
This kit should work with any Chevrolet transmission. If you decide you want to run a manual trans in the future, just install everything for a Chev clutch, and bellhousing assembly.
If you have any questions, please call Bob Bendtsen at 763 767 4480 days.