Installation Instruction’s for
’52 to ’57 Lincoln to
Chev Trans Adapter Kit.
These instructions assume that the installer has more than a small amount of mechanical skill and know how.
While performing this installation, please remember a few simple rules.
(1) Install all bolts in a particular sequence before tightening any.
(2) Never force anything.
(3) Lubricate bolt threads.
(4) Trial fit everything to make sure it will fit. See rule #2.
Each part of every kit has been fitted onto a 368 Lincoln engine before being boxed to make sure it will fit correctly. If it doesn’t fit correctly there may be some problem with your engine. Call if there is a problem.
When you are finished, make sure that there is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance between the torque converter and the flywheel after the transmission is tight to the engine adapter. This means that you should be able to move the torque converter forward the distance indicated.
If you have more distance than that indicated, you could have other problems.
1. Install inner adapter plate using 6- 7/16 x 20 x 1 ¼ flathead bolts. Make sure the dowels are in place and free of burrs.
2. Install outer adapter plate. The adapter is a tight fit over the dowel pins. Tap the adapter into place. A tight fit insures that the plate is located correctly.
3. Bolt the outer plate to the inner plate with the 2- 7/16 x 14 x 1 flathead bolts.
4. Install crank adapter with supplied socket head capscrews. Tighten to factory specs, using locktight.
5. Install starter using the 2 ¼ x 28 x 1 ½ inch capscrews provided.
6. Install flywheel using supplied 7/16 x 20 x ¾ inch flywheel bolts.
This kit should work with any Chevrolet transmission. If you want to use a manual transmission, we can supply you with a pilot bearing adapter. Then you simply bolt on a complete bellhousing and clutch assembly from a pre 1985 Chev V8.
Bendtsen's Transmission Center, Inc 763 767-4480
13603 Johnson Street NE
Ham Lake, MN 55304